Name Changes & Campus Records

Preferred Name Changes

We understand that many students, faculty and staff use names other than their legal name to identify themselves. The University is in the process of reviewing policies related to use of preferred name on campus documents. A preferred name option for the UIC Phonebook was instituted for faculty and staff. Contact your phonebook administrator for more information.

Adding a preferred name does not change your official name as a part of your educational record. Your official name is your legal name. Your legal name is used for financial aid, transcripts, international student I-20’s and other documents required by the university. Therefore, this name will continue to appear on your transcript, diploma, UI Card, and any documentation involving financial aid, student accounts, or international student status.

If you are a student in need of a preferred first name change due to your gender identity and/or expression, please email us at

Please Note: Preferred names will be regularly reviewed.  Any entries deemed to be offensive will be removed by the Office of the University Registrar.


Legal Name Changes

Students who wish to change their official name on their student records must first complete a legal name change. Once you have completed the legal name change process, you should use the guidelines outlined in the attached PDFs to change your official name on campus:

  • For Undergraduate Student Employees
  • For Undergraduate OR Graduate Student Non-Employees


If you are interested in learning more about changing your legal name in Illinois, click here. If you are a student at UIC you can legally change your name in Illinois, if you are a resident of Illinois for longer than 6 months. Changing your name is different in every state. If you are not from Illinois, it is worth checking to see if the process is easier and/or less costly in your hometown.


Gender Marker Changes

Students seeking to correct or update Gender in the Banner Student Information System, can do so with an e-mail from a UIC e-mail account requesting the change to or by stopping by the Office of the Registrar, Student Services Building, suite 1200, 1200 West Harrison Street, during business hours.

Options and limitations on selection of gender within the Student Information System:

  • Students with an employment record at any of the three University of Illinois campuses, can select either Male (M) or Female (F).
  • Students with no employment record with the University of Illinois, can select Male (M), Female (F), or Not Available.

If you have questions, you may call the Registration Help Line at 312-996-8600 during business hours or visit the Registration Gender Data Update page here.